Ode to Tradition

>> Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tradition comes in many ways! One of the more recent, but tasty traditions in the Simmons house is "Grandpa Dougs" root beer. Its delicious. Its a part of many celebrations. Unfortunately we drank up the last of the stash before dad went to Siberia.  In hindsight we should have made a new brew (when I say we, I mean dad) and put it in someones wine cellar. That would have been great. But, since that didnt happen, I bought the next best thing. Henry Wienharts root beer. I made it a part of my Fourth of July Celebration!


On the Fourth, I woke up relatively early and attended the stake celebration at Mission North park. It was packed! There was a pancake & sausage breakfast. (great for me - one less meal to cook). All the bishops we on the griddles! The kids ran around and the parents sat on blankets and talked while watching their broods. It was quite nice. I really like community "small town" type events. There was even a little parade. So cute. Jonah was a part of it.

On my way out, I decided to shortcut by crossing the little stream. As I looked for the most narrow part of the stream, a group of children (9yrs and younger) spotted me and I was an instant audience! It was so wonderful.  Young people have such a world of their own - and they have so much knowledge - soaked in like a sponge.  I learned a very valuable lesson that I am going to pass on.  I think they would want me to.

"How to catch a craw-dad"

first, you get a stick.  And some string.  You tie the string to the stick. The you need a paperclip. You put the paperclip at the other end of the string.  Then you can use bits of hot dog to put as bait.  When the craw-dad eats at the bait, you pull him up and put him in a bucket. If you have a net, that is cool too because its easier to catch. Once you get the craw-dad in the bucket, you dump the bucket out. You dont really need to keep the craw-dad.

Yes, there it is. Pure genius! They shared other secrets of the stream and such, but its best to leave those by the water.  They will save for another day and another passerby.

I also attended the Arden Park parade. I went to my friend April's house for a BBQ. After that I went to Cal Expo for the fireworks. That was  a lot of fun! It was there that I broke out the root beer and toasted to good times! Love ya dad!!!!

All in all it was a great day and I feel so blessed to be in this great land with great freedoms. 

Shannon

1 comments:

Trisha July 8, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

Wow I sure miss that root beer. I wish I had 100 cases of the yeast kind.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP