Bumps & Blessings

>> Monday, October 27, 2008

In a recent conversation with my parents (via Skype - a fantastic technological advancement) my father mentioned the above phrase - reminding me that life is full of bumps and blessings. That certainly is the case. 


So often it is easy to be overwhelmed by the bumps - to become spiritually "carsick" so to speak. Often when there are multiple bumps in a row, our mortal journey becomes more like an "E -ticket" ride and less like a Sunday drive through the country. Its easy to forget to look out the window and enjoy the view. Our adversary would have us become so focused on the spiritual nausea that we stop our drive - too sick or too dizzy to continue forward. But, our Heavenly Father wants us to continue even amidst the bumps. Just as any good E- ticket ride has a definite end - our spiritual and mortal journey will not always be bumpy and there will be great vistas along the way - the "blessings."

I certainly have been enjoying (I say that a bit tongue in cheek since I enjoy this type of discomfort about as much as a trip to the dentist) the bumps and blessings of my current leg of my life journey.

There have been some present bumps - work is definitely not going the direction I thought I wanted it to go. Now, I have to go and assert myself and get my "creative aggressive speak on" with the boss. Thats always a good time. In recent months my housing has been a bit "mobile." I am learning to be nimble with my ability to move. (3 moves in 6 months is certainly a lesson in flexibility and organization!).  A lot of my friends are having baby #1 or #2 - very exciting indeed to welcome a bundle of tiny proportions into the world - but also a small reminder of what I thought I wanted right now. And, God and I have had the same conversation regarding marriage (but this time i listened better - it only took 3 or 4 tries!). It just not time. As a result of all of this, I am feeling a bit wander-lost.

Ah, I can hear you few readers asking at this point "the blessings, the blessings - you promised there would be blessings." Yes, there are perhaps more blessings than bumps (which is partially my present realization.)

I have had the opportunity to live with my Aunt. Up to this point in my life I havent taken the opportunity to get to know her. What a lady. I didn't get to know my grandma Simmons very well - she passed away before I was old enough to retain too many memories. But, I think in a lot of ways my Aunt is like her. She is strong, kind, thoughtful, generous and safe. This has been a safe place to land - an important blessing in my life. She feeds me, makes sure I am sleeping and helps me stay sane. She has shared some of her strength with me as we have chatted about spiritual matters, temporal activities and just life in general. We have baked cookies (well, she bakes & I eat the dough) and packed boxes for my parents in Russia. She has shared family history jewels - and perhaps the crown of it all was when she suggested I try on Grandma's wedding dress.

***It fit.*****

What a tender moment between Simmons women. As I stood in that beautiful dress in front of the mirror, I could almost see my grandma looking back. I certainly was reminded that we are not alone in this journey. It was a precious moment with a few tears had by all.

Another fantastic blessing occured at work.  I was able to ring up a young lady and the conversation turned to Utah, BYU and the eventual "oh, your LDS" commentary. She told me that she was planning on going on a mission. I told her that I loved future sister missionaries and I would love to hear where she was going! I gave her my number and she agreed.  I didnt think much about it until she came in again, this time with her mom. We all shared a smile and she told me she would call and that she still had my number. Well, Saturday was the day of the call. And guess where she is going? ASL speaking on Temple Square. Yes. You heard that right. Coincidence? Not at all! Tender mercy for both of us? Of course, yes!

Well, thats just a snippet of my blessings - I am in the midst of prop 22 calls - another blessing. I was feeling uninvolved and felt the need to be doing more with the campaign. About  2 days after this prayer and wish, I was asked to be a group leader in this calling campaign the first presidency has issued to the YSA's of CA. Yep, the Lord is good.

My conclusion? Keep on doing what the Lord needs me to do. Also - dont get caught up in the world. Those things are not of lasting value or happiness. Those issues, pleasures, goals, successes, big bucks, hot shots - none of that is really of a lot of substance. The gospel, family, friends and service are where its at!

Shannon 

1 comments:

Rodney&Sara+4 October 31, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

Thank you for sharing this, from someone who's experiencing a few "bumps" of her own right now. As for the marriage "bump" you mentioned, I would imagine that Heavenly Father needs extra time to hone that man that is able to meet and challenge your amazing strength and talent. I don't think the "average man" would be ready for you :).

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP