That Easter Morn...

>> Sunday, April 4, 2010

Today is the traditional holiday in which the Christian world celebrates the ultimate hope-spring; the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Its a holy day.

In celebration or rather commemoration and honor of this day, this one divine and glorious act, I went at sunrise to the tidal basin.  It was a simple and refreshing experience.  I awoke to the dark morning sky, full of birds chirping next to the stars. I was there on the water as the dark sky yielded its blackness to the pale spring sun rising over the horizon.


I contemplated the power and majesty of nature; its harmony and balance - set into motion by our Heavenly Father - and marveled at the divine details of the scene I found myself a part of.  In the Book of Mormon, Alma cries "Yea, all things denote there is a God."  I too found my heart in harmony with that sentiment.  One look at the complex symmetry of the clouds, sky, light refraction's & reflection's, blossoms and trees and even the water - all demand an existence of a loving God.

As I listened to the birds continue their songs, watched the ducks peacefully move across the basin, walked under the blush of the blossoming cherry trees and listened to the stillness - I thought of the ultimate gift that was given to me - a gift beyond the beauty of my current view, but perfectly symbolized by the landscape before me.  The ultimate gift of hope through the Resurrection.

I thought about the progression of events which led to my understanding. After a long, unexpected snow winter, my heart and mind became dulled.  I began to despair, wondering if there would be any other season besides winter.  I only saw white - or an absence of color.

Then, bits of green began to edge in and sneak up on the scene.  I doubted, thinking that we certainly could have another rash snow storm or horrible cold snap.  But, about a month ago, I opened my window to get some fresh air and looked to see tight purple buds on the trees in my yard. I threw open the rest of the window and hung half my body out to get a better look. I couldnt believe what I was seeing.  Sure enough, the tree was covered with buds.  I gasped in pure joy and relief.  At that moment, I inhaled hope - this relief and understanding that surely winter was over! It was at that moment, I realized that each season has its place, and has a start & completion. Winter isn't forever.

While we may go through long winters of our lives, spring will always come to relieve us.  In the winters of our spiritual lives, we need not fear.  We can maintain ultimate hope in Jesus Christ.  His life, crucifixion, and resurrection established a pathway of precision and perfection - demonstrating that through him, we can obtain victory over mortality.  The dark night of death now must yield to the piercing morning Son of God. He is the "first fruits of them that slept." In Him, there is an eternal spring - we never need fear the absence of new life, nor will we thirst, for as we partake of His salvation we "will thirst no more."

May we glory in the gift God has given to each of us in His Son.

"He is not here: for He is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay!" (Matthew 28:5)

"He is risen, he is risen! Tell it out with joyful voice!
  He has burst his three days prison, let the whole wide earth rejoice!
 death is conquered, man is free - Christ has won the victory!"

1 comments:

Mom/Cindy April 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

Thank you. That was beautiful. What a lovely morning that was for you. Thanks for sharing it and your thoughts with us.
Love ya, Mom

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP