Degree's of Separation

>> Friday, December 31, 2010

As usual, its nearing midnight and my mind is very awake. I was editing a photoshoot I recently completed, but then was lured into the wiles of the internet and fell into a lull.

I'm blaming Facebook for my current emotional condition - feeling anxiety over art projects incomplete, yearning for friendships that never included me except by the brush of proximity, a strange vision of being outside the snowglobe when all I have wanted was to be inside…oh, I could go on and on. Silliness. After about 10 minutes on Facebook, these feelings bubble up and build upon each other.  After I shut the whole thing down, I feel better.

and yet, i keep looking at the drama of social networking. Its just a modern-day version of "keeping up with the Jones" except its worse than olden days because now I know everything about the jones, smiths, robinsons and all of THIER neighbors.

I get a serious complex. 

Its this demented reality - intangible and distant. 

I have this great life. I am on a personal pace. I'm pretty happy. Yet, when I get distracted and start looking around at what is going on with all kinds of other people, trouble ensues.

So, Facebook and I are separating. 

I've thought about doing this before, but this time I'm serious. I have way too much to do and I cant afford to get distracted.

So, if you're following this blog, independent of FB, great. If you're here because I told you to come here rather than my FB page. Excellent. Leave a comment. If you're just stumbling upon me, please say hi!

2 comments:

pink23 January 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

you are the center of your world, Shannon... let others orbit your sparkly atmosphere... you shine, and you twirl, and you never need feel the anxiety of isolation..
you dazzle within your own world.. let others in, like you are doing now, because you choose to let these people in... The jones, and the smiths.. they are another world.. not of your own creation. Create your own world, it will be beautiful

Tammy January 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM  

Um, so I'm exactly the same way...which is why I just choose to avoid facebook altogether! =) Good luck!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP