Soldiers, Unite! (at the Keys household)

>> Monday, November 3, 2008

What a fantastic day today!


After a wonderful fast & testimony meeting, a break-the-fast meal and some good laughter with friends, I returned home. As I arrived, I notice a lot of cars parked in front of Aunt Diane's house...not generally the case.

Upon entry, a rush of energy and momentum washed over me. I felt like I was at the capitol or in the midst of a great political effort...wait, I was! It was fantastic! Michelle & Nick, Esther & Scott, Logan & Pang and Aunt Diane were scattered about the house working on prop 8 projects. Our voices were raised and our hands were joined in the final moments of our current battle. My face hurts a bit from smiling so much - there is such a strength that comes with righteous gatherings. 

Some were at the dinning room table, organizing walk sheets. Others were in the office printing & creating the lists. Still, others were in the 'exercise' room counting door signs and affixing them to the walk sheets. 

Not to be left out of the fun, I grabbed Michelle's laptop and my cell phone and headed to the exercise room. I began my daily routine of calling. (I have to tell you I am going to miss this part of my day.  I have become so used to calling each day for the past two weeks that I will feel a bit empty without it) Pang joined in the calling too a little bit later. I just wish all of you could have at least witnessed the scene & the spirit. 

The spirit was strong as we each did our part and did the work.

Now for two special calls I had tonight. I want to again mention that I started the pattern of having a quick prayer before I begin my calls. I find that it helps me to be calm, happy and focus on the people who are either a swing vote or a soft no. I pray for the spirit to be with me.

#1 - Anna
I spoke with a nice gal named Anna. She listened kindly to my introduction:
"I am calling on behalf of the yes on prop 8 campaign. Are you familiar with prop 8 regarding traditional marriage?"

She was, and she then said she had just one problem. (I was waiting for the verbal punch that was sure to come.) She wasn't registered. (phew, that was an easy one) She had just recently moved and in the chaos didnt get registered to vote. She was sincerely upset. She then asked me if I had ever had to make a big move before. (have I ever! Please refer to my earlier posts regarding this issue). I sympathized with her.  I told her that I was quite familiar with the stress of moving, having moved 3 times in less than 6 months. She was so appreciative of my kindness. 

Really, it wasnt much - I just told her that i was sorry for the stress she had to go through and I hoped things would get better. I also offered her the suggestion of permanent absentee voting. She was thrilled. She then thanked me again and said that there must be some reason all these things were going on in her life. I stated that I believe God has a reason for everything. Again, she was so sweet and sincere in her appreciation for my words. She agreed with that statement. I then wished her the best of luck in the future and to have a good night. She replied the same to me. I was touched by her sincerity and soft-heart. 

Now, this was a relatively short conversation. Well under ten minutes. But, after hanging up the call, I thought about our conversation. I thought about my prayer. She needed a listening ear, a friendly voice, a compassionate heart. For just a few minutes, perhaps I was able to be that person - perhaps an answer to a silent prayer. 

It didnt matter that she couldnt vote. That was not the end purpose to our conversation. The Lord truly knows ALL of His children and loves each one of us deeply.

#2 -- Nellie

I would like to meet Nellie some day. She is such a nice lady! She told me right off the bat that "you can count on a yes vote here!" YES! Wahoo!  She then said, "prop 8 MUST pass." I couldnt agree more. She asked me if I was from the area and I said that I was from Sacramento. This excited her and she thanked me for my efforts. She also was so excited to share that whenever she sees sign holders on the streets she gives them the thumbs up & honks. She also is telling all her friends to vote yes. It got me so excited. I thanked her for her support & her friendly voice. She thanked me again and told me to keep going, that it was good work I was doing. She also said "May God bless you in all your endeavors." 

Sweet, sweet Nellie. May God bless you for your positive influence.

I just love nice people. 

Well folks, I just got a text from one of my calling team members. She reported her hours and then told me that her tests at school were moved to be a week later than originally planned. Coincidence? Not at all. The Lord takes care of His people. She is being directly blessed for her sacrifice. It brings tears to my eyes to think about His goodness and mercy. 

"Will we not go on in so great a cause?" --Captain Moroni

Oh, yes, we will press forward. Marching, marching, marching. I love being on a winning team. 

faith & courage,
Shannon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP