We won! Hurrah for the current victory!

>> Thursday, November 6, 2008


Yes, by a narrow margin folks, we won.  This is a good reminder that each individual effort was needed. This was not a landslide win by any means. With each passing year, the victory margin is narrowing.  


Just aprox 509881 votes won us the fight.

That is small. Very small. But, a good reminder that we CAN do it. With the Lord on our side and the hard work of each defender of the faith, we can win. It is not easy & requires a lot of work.

I know it does - I have been sick yesterday & today -- I lost my voice (how ironic). But, the Lord gave me strength to do His will until the battle was won. And now I am in recovery. Albeit a short recovery. There is no rest for the righteous. And non for the opposition either, apparently.

The opposition is up in arms and backlashing already. Just 12 hours after the public passed prop 8, they were filling a high court appeal. Then, last night, they held a candle light vigil outside the Sacramento Gay & Lesbian Center to mark their outcry for the supposed injustice the passing of prop 8 handed them.

I think a candle light vigil is a little ironic, yes?

Traditionally speaking, one lights a candle as a prayer to God. As the smoke from the candle ascends, it is hoped to reach the ears of God.  This would result in the blessings requested being granted. It is a symbol of faith. 

"And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God." (Revelation 8:4)

One can also date the origins of this ritual back to animal sacrifices at the time of Moses. As the animal was sacrificed at the alter, the smoke again would ascend to heaven as a symbol to whom the sacrifice was being made for.

"...An offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the Lord." (Leviticus 1:9)

So a this group of protesters gathered for a candlelight vigil. I wonder if they understand the origins of the demonstration they partook in last night. I wonder if they realize the mockery taking place to God & his sacred symbols. I can guarantee they don't know that their prayers have already been answered. The answer just doesn't suit them. 

If they did understand, they would realize that the passing of prop 8 is a matter of Gods plan and his will - not of self satiation or a supposed obligation to civil rights. No, God never intended for a family to be anything other than a man, woman and His children. But, you see the symbol of complete union through marriage is quickly eroding anyway. So this disregard for other symbols should come as no surprise. 

But, I am forgetting myself. 

You see, my premise is that this (marriage) is a moral issue.  Not everyone sees it that way. 

But, then again, they (the opposition) are mixing their metaphors so to speak. After if this isn't a moral issue, why hold a candlelight vigil? I mean, why not choose something that has no moral or religious roots, right? Because after all,  civil rights must not pass through the pearly gates of morality or religious code. No, no, these two things are separate but equal, wait I am confused. 

Where is the line? 

Where does the blanket of civil rhetoric cover religious expression with the guise of protest? 

It doesn't make sense right? 

Next time, if you're going to protest, please do some research. Or at least make sure there is agreement between the cause you're fighting for and the resulting actions. Make it cohesive. 

But, that would require logic and tolerance, of which I have seen little. 

Faith & Courage (& a little spitfire)

Shannon

2 comments:

Grampa Doug November 7, 2008 at 1:19 PM  

Nice use of metaphor. I like your style. I hope your voice is back to normal soon. Keep on writing.
Dad

Phil Ronzone November 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Well Shannon, I'm exhausted after this effort, but I am still in the fight. Anita called me on election night to let me know that Arizona's propsition passed and she was praying for a successful outsome for us here in California. Florida passed their admendment as well. YES!!!

Now for a brief reast and back to the fight.

And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God.
-Moroni 9:6

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP