Day 1 on the open road...

>> Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tales from the open road

A coastal crossing in six days…

 (pictures will have to wait...the camera cord is somewhere in the car...)

Day one is done!

August 14, 2009

 I have promised many people that I would blog as consistently as possible, and then upload as often as internet would allow. Tonight I don’t have internet, so this post will be done in the morning. I will however write about the day….

 I left Sacramento pretty ontime; about 735 (compared to 730)– not a bad start!  There were some tears as I said adieu to Mikey & Auntie – two people I love very dearly. I was impressed that Mikey arose early enough to say goodbye…especially since he & I were up till…well, really early.  I would also like to thank my Auntie for introducing me to cowboy eggs this morning. A delightful new breakfast treat that I will have again…

 Cowboy Eggs:

I piece of buttered toast

Take glass and cut a hole in the center of the toast

Crack an egg into the “hole”

Cook & enjoy….plus a little honey for the center toast piece….YUM

 The car was masterfully packed for the trip by Mikey. He is a master packer (packing manager to be exact) and he also strung up my rack real well (roof rack folks! roof rack!) See picture below.  Those half-hitches aren’t going anywhere.

As you can see, Marquette is along for the journey to DC! She is all set to go in her preppy outfit as our figurehead…

 I picked up Heidi – a dear friend and adventure companion for this trip…

 And we were set to go!

 There is something so exciting about the open road. The promise of adventure; of the unknown. Knowing that you may never pass the same way again…as the strains of “on the road again..” sang in the stereo speakers, I felt my heart skip a beat. Here I go! Here I go!

 This year has been a journey of self discovery; this road trip is the physical reflection of that journey to realize my own heart.

 On our way out of California, we stopped at Donner Park….

 The smoke-filled air and densely wooded mountains brought John Denver’s “Country Roads” to mind.  There is something so nostalgic about a campfire –the quiet sounds of campers waking up and the crisp mountain air…if you haven’t experienced this part of California (and you live in the state) do so!

 And then came the long ***exciting*** drive through Nevada….Folks, Nevada is a drag. Even the sagebrush are bored - which is why you see them tumbling across the road.

 For lunch we stopped in Winnimucca…always a nice cross section of people there. I love all the Harley riders….couldnt miss the opportunity to snap a picture….

 The rest of our day was spent driving and sleeping (don’t worry dear friends, Heidi and I didn’t sleep while we were driving…!) Although, during one such nap, I jolted awake and scared Heidi as I flung toward the window…I had a dream that I was driving and feel asleep at the wheel…can we say anxiety!!!

 I wish there was more exciting things for the day….Nevada was just the bulk of our drive and therefore rendered our time slightly less than entertaining. Although, we did have some amazing music and I did get some major stares at most gas stations as people gawked at Marquette strapped to the top of my vehicle…love it! The next time someone asks what that thing is strapped to my car roof…I will answer “grandma.” Seriously. Hasn’t anyone seen a mannequin before? If not a mannequin, at least national lampoons family vacation?

 Tonight we are in Ogden Ut – staying with Heidi’s gram.  Thanks gram!!! Her house is the coolest (she is a pretty rad lady herself). 

 Day ONE has been a success…..


2 comments:

Trisha August 17, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

All right I can breath again. I was waiting fot the take off. Good luck!!!!

The Brandon Biz August 18, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

Can't wait to see and hear everything once you get there. Told you....you don't have time to blog everynight. You need to enjoy your car breaks and sleep, not logging on the computer. Drive safe!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP