The rest of the story....Day 3

>> Monday, August 17, 2009

I know, I know, this is a little long in coming. Apologies to my faithful readers. It has been a little more exhausting and overwhelming to do this "move" and blogging has fallen to the bottom of the list. Sadly. Here, however is the rest of my incredible cross country trip.

Day 3 - Discovering the FLAT land of Colorado and Nebraska

Sunday.  Last night we arrived in Aurora, Colorado.  There aren't words to express the joy that came from being with the Campbells.  They opened their home to us and were so kind.  The Campbells are a family I met and fell in love with while serving my mission many years ago.  We have kept in touch and I had to see them while I was in town. Sadly I didnt get a picture with them.  It was a bit of a rush to get everyone out of the house...but here Heidi and I decided to be twins...

My cousin Michelle told us that it would be okay if we wore flip flops to church.  It was a bit of a joke - thinking that we may only be able to find the shoes we were actually wearing in my cram-packed car.  Actually, her prediction turned out to be accurate.  I packed one church shoe in my overnight bag, but failed to pack a matched set. Oops.

Did you know that Colorado has a lot of flatland? It was news to me.  A better portion of the state consists of a 2-lane "highway" that we were on for many hours.  There werent any places to really stop and photograph - so Heidi busted out the "motion-photography" skills.  I am a sucker for pretty wildflowers- especially yellow ones.  I wish I could have captured the beauty of this place - Imagine miles and miles covered with yellow and white wildflowers. I felt a little bit like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz when she finds herself in Munchkin land. Remember all the bright flowers? Yep. And then of course, this picture below added to the feeling! Welcome to Nebraska! This was at a gas station. Seriously.

The drive through Nebraska was interspersed with corn fields. And farms. But, mostly cornfields and grass.  Today our drive was pretty peaceful - fitting for a Sunday. The other thing that we did which kept the day full of the spirit was to read family histories.  

Before I left, I asked my Aunt to print out some Simmons family stories.  This request came as a result of the trek (which I havent really posted much about yet) and the journey we were making to Winter Quarters in Nebraska.

Prior to this recent year, I havent taken the opportunity to really read and get to know a lot about my dad's side of the family.  Over the years, he has shared stories and geneology, but I never really owned it in my heart. 

I now know Wilmerth - My great-great grandmom. What a woman.  As I drove (listening to Heidi tell her story) across the desolate, beautiful and hard land of Colorado and Nebraska I grew to love her.  She was a physically and emotionally staunch woman.  And yet, she had a quirky sense of humor and love of dance and music that kept her balanced.  Pieces of me have filtered through the family lines - and Heidi excitedly exclaimed "Shannon, she's your type of woman!"

We ended the day at Winter Quarters - for those of you reading this who are not of my faith; this a place where the Mormon Pioneers stayed for about a year while they waited out the harsh winter en route to Utah.  Many died from exposure, unsanitary conditions and lack of food.  I marvel at their dedication, commitment, and strength.  They knew their path.  They knew their leader.  They knew the Master.  

Today, its a quiet town and there is a small, reverent cemetery that holds the graves of the many pioneers who died there.  As you enter the cemetery, there is a hush that is almost palpable.  No words are needed as you wander the small hillside with many unmarked graves. It is not empty, though, for you can feel the presence of the many men, women and children whose sacrifice stands as a memorial for all who followed.

Right next to the cemetery is the Winter Quarters Temple.  A beautiful temple which stands a reminder that the pioneers work and sacrifice was not in vain.  Equal bookends of sacrifice and blessings. 

What a powerful day. 

1 comments:

Mom/Cindy September 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

We enjoyed Winter Quarters, too. It's a special spot. Glad you got to experience it.
Love ya,
Mom

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP