Day six...we're travellin' now Jesse!

>> Thursday, August 20, 2009

Last night we spent the evening in Oswego (ahs-we-go) with another missionary I served with. Kristin is now married with two beautiful children.  She lives in a cute house in a nice suburban town outside of Chicago.  It was wonderful to see her and her family.  We caught up and reminisced.

We woke up early and drove real fast.  Well, Cici (bless her heart) can only go so fast.  Laden down with my precious belongings caused her a bit of strain.  We never really made it over 75 unless we were going down a serious mountain.

We did get up early.  Today was the final stretch in our cross-country adventure and we needed to cover a LOT of ground.  

The only stop we made today was in Miamitown, Oh.  Again, a family stop.  My moms side of the family lives there.  My grandparents were buried in the family plot.  It has been ten years since I have been there.  For those of you who have watched the film "Elizabethtown" - know that its been an inspiration for my roadtrip.  Much like the main character goes to Elizabethtown and discovers his roots, I too have discovered my roots on this trip in a very similar way.  Going to Miamitown brought me a connection and a closeness to my family that is too hard to put into words.  Even for me.

Below is my moms cousin and the Son-in-law & grandkids.  We also were able to cross the street and visit the graves of my grandparents and other family members.  

Miamitown is small and rural.  The pace is slow and one of the big deals in the town is Wendy's.  Nothing is too fancy or complicated. These folks are just good people.  They are real, honest and absolutely loving.  After all, "you're family."  And next to God and country, that is what matters most.  I think we all could use a lesson from the heartland.

We zipped through the rest of the drive.  Even though we were sitting, it still gets pretty tiring and long.  The final big, AHHH moment for me was entering Virginia.  Not only because this was my new home, but because of the mountains.  John Denver sings:

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah River.
Life is old there, older than the trees,
Younger than the mountains, growing like a breeze.
Country roads, take me home,
To the place where I belong,
West Virginia, mountain mama.
Take me home, country roads.
All my mem'ries gather 'round her,
Miner's lady, stranger to blue waters.
Dark and dusty painted on the sky,
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrops in my eye.
Country roads, take me home,
To the place where I belong,
West Virginia, mountain mama,
Take me home, country roads.
I hear her voice, in the mornin' hours she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away.
Driving down the road I get a feeling
That I should have been home yesterday,
Yesterday.
Country roads, take me home,
To the place, I belong
West Virginia mountain mama,
Take me home, country roads

I truly understand these lyrics.  As you look around, the mountains are soft like piles of mashed potatoes. Densely covered in green trees, you are enveloped by the rolling beauty of it all.  There is a slight blue filter - and a part of me began to tear up at its majesty.  That, and the relief and sense of solidarity of nearing completion of the trip.

About an hour outside of Arlington, we needed one last gas stop.  And as if to signal we were in the right place, another fantastic sign was found.  Mike, this goes out to you.  Will you please send me an orange vest?

Home sweet home. So glad to get out of the car.  So glad to have finally arrived.  Heidi was so happy, she fashioned a new line of clothing, called Tarpe Diem! I think its going to be a hit on the runway!

And that my friends, is the rest of the story.  Can you believe it? 14 states, over 2300 miles, probably 20 tanks of gas, 1 trucker horn pull, 6 days, 5 nights and a country worth of difference.  I am here. In Virginia. The state for lovers. The state of the Cardinal.  Home to the blue ridge mountains and humidity.  The place where fireflies light up the night.  

Shannon and her adventures.  Thanks for joining in.


2 comments:

The Brandon Biz September 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

Elizabethtown.....I remember you watching that not long ago.....

Mom/Cindy September 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

Thanks for the Miamitown pics. I'm thankful that you and family could connect. Thank you for working that stop into your schedule. Glad you arrived safe and sound.
Love ya,
Mom

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP