Boundaries

>> Sunday, July 19, 2009


As a product of my fathers teaching, I am a reflector. 

Each time a life experience occurs, I try to pause and ask a few questions: "what just happened?, what did I learn?, do I need that again?, etc."

The last year has been a continual round of those questions. Also saturated in my mind is his famous phrase "its only a wasted experience if you didnt learn from it." I like that phrase because it reminds us that each experience in life can be good and useful if we actually use it.

So, I have been pondering lately.  Pondering about what the last year has brought me and what I have learned.  For a while I felt as though my time has been wasted - that I needed to be doing something different; more. But, I think I was wrong. The changes and growth have been subtle and comprehensive, perhaps even a slow exponential occurrence.  

For me it can all be summed up with one word. 

Boundaries. As defined online, it means "Something that indicates a border or limit."

This past year I have learned my own boundaries, how to set boundaries with others, what boundaries I am comfortable with and establishing non-negotiable ones. I have learned more about the Lords boundaries, physical boundaries and even the fact that one can push and change once rigid "I cant do that" boundaries with a little help and work.

As I was at the temple yesterday, the thought occurred to me that "even the sun has its bounds." Life is a constant effort to control, tame and shape our spirits while in "this tabernacle of clay." Our physical, mortal bodies prefer not to have boundaries. This body of ours doesnt like to be controlled and tempered. The flesh likes to run about, lazy, sloppy and relaxed.  The Lord knows that with some bounds, limits, controls/stops, we can teach our bodies and spirits to be something more. Something greater. We can be refined, strong and more like Him.

Boundaries give us strength and shape. It is a part of the order of Gods earth. 

PS - I got that lighting shot during an incredibly rare dry lighting storm we had here about a month and a half ago.  It lasted most of the night and was one of the most beautiful scenes of nature I have had witness to in my life.  The night sky was constantly lit up by beautiful bolts of lighting. The sky would go dark and then, almost violently it would be illuminated by white fire! For a moment I thought I was in a different state because of the amount of lightening we received.  It was quite a show.

It also inspired me to learn more about photographing lighting. I messed around with it during the night, but only got a couple shots successfully. Next time I will be better prepared :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP