Memory on Memorial Day

>> Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial day.

I would like to pause and give a heartfelt thanks to all the Military men & women; past & present, who have served our country.

Their service gives me freedom.

My grandfather, Claude Simmons, was one of those men. I didnt get to know him during his brief time on earth. He passed before I had that chance. I do respect and love him. I thank him for his service. For his fatherhood. For his dedication and patriotism.

Below is a slideshow of my trip to the cemetary where Claude is buried. Next to him is Vonda. the love of his life. They lay side by side as they stood in life. Vonda was a patient military wife. She and Claude wrote consistant letters all throughout his service. I recently have read those letters and am in awe of there love and devotion.

In the Fair Oaks cemtary where they are buried, they line the pathways with flags in memorium of this holiday. They also mark each military grave with a white cross and flag. It was a very sacred moment to enter that cemetary and see the many, many white crosses & flags.

We owe a great debt to these soldiers. May you feel some of what I felt in that sacred moment as you watch this slideshow. May you pay tribute, in your own way, to those great men and women who affect your personal liberties.

2 comments:

Trisha May 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

Thanks for the info. I love to hear about your feelings. Hey can you send me a copy of those letters. I would love to read them too.

Mom/Cindy May 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Loved seeing the cemetery with all of the flags. Thanks for going and thanks for the memories. Love ya.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP